Fort George

By on December 9, 2013

Fort George is considered to the most haunted location in the most haunted town in the Niagara Region. It is the location of dozens of paranormal experiences and the featured location of the local Niagara Ghost Tour.

Located on Queen St. in Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario, Fort George was the headquarters for the Centre Division of the British army during the war of 1812. It is located directly across the Niagara River from the American’s Fort Niagara. In addition to British regulars, local militia were also stationed at the fort along with the local Indian department.

During the course of the war the fort was the scene of several bloody battles. The fort was taken by the Americans in the year 1812 and burned to the ground. The British were able to retake the fort and rebuild it only to have it burned to the ground again. The fort was in an advanced state of decay when the Niagara Parks Commission restored it during the 1930s.

Paranormal activity at the fort is wide and varied. Visitors speak of a grey haired man that observes visitors from behind the bunks in the blockhouses. Another Caucasian man has been seen peering out of ground floor windows. . A young blonde girl has been seen roaming the grounds wearing a white night gown. Another individual has been seen pacing in the upper floors of the fort. Perhaps the most thrilling tale is that of a torso patrolling the gates with his musket at the ready.

Location: